*1/3 cup dried cherries
*1/2 cup boiling water
*1 1/2 cup flour
*1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
*1/2 tablespoon baking powder
*1/3 cup Half and Half -- plus 1 tablespoon
*1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
*1/4 cup butter, room temperature
*1 egg, separated
*1/4 cup sour cream
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Soak cherries in hot water for 10 minutes and then drain and set aside.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract.
4. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
5. Mix in the cherries and then knead the dough lightly on a floured surface just until dough can be handled. Shape dough into a ball and pat into a 6-inch circle on a greased baking sheet.
6. Cut into six wedges and brush with beaten egg white and then sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes.