*2 cups all purpose flour
*1 Tablespoon baking powder
*4 Tablespoons (1/2) stick) sweet, unsalted butter
*1/4 cup sugar
*2 teaspoons fresh lavender or 1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender, coarsely chopped
*2/3 cup milk, plus extra for glaze
*nuts of choice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease & flour a large baking sheet.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the butter until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar and lavender (save a small amount to sprinkle on top of scones before baking).
4. Add enough milk to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface.
5. Cut dough into 1 inch thick rounds with a cookie cutter. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Brush the top of each scone with a dash of milk and sprinkle with the reserved lavender and sugar. Add nuts if desired.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 12 scones.
Serve with rose petal jam and Devon cream.