* 3/4 cup butter
* 6 egg yolks or 3 whole eggs
* 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. baking soda
* 1-2/3 cups sugar
* 1 cup milk
* 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon or lime peel
* 1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
* 2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
* 2 Tbsp. orange juice
* 1 recipe Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting
1. Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl beat butter on medium 30 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar until combined; beat 2 minutes more. Add yolks one at a time, beat well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately; beat on low after each just until combined. Stir in peels and juices. Spread batter in prepared pans.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
4. Prepare Lemony Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate; spread top with frosting. Stack second layer flat side down; spread remaining frosting. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
Makes 12 servings.
Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting: In large chilled bowl beat 2 cups whipping cream, 2 Tbps. powdered sugar, and 1 Tbsp. instant vanilla pudding on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 Tbsp. shredded lemon peel. If made ahead, chill 24 hours; stir before spreading. Makes 3-1/2 cups.