* 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 cup chopped cooked fresh lump or jumbo crabmeat or drained pasteurized canned lump crabmeat, flaked and cartilage removed
* 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
* Dash kosher salt or salt
* 8 slices thinly sliced firm-textured white or wheat sandwich bread
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced
* 1/2 cup loosely packed watercress (thick stems discarded), rinsed and dried
1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon chives, and lemon juice. Add crabmeat; stir with a fork to combine. Season with white pepper and salt.
2. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Arrange avocado slices on half of the buttered bread slices. Top with crab mixture. Add watercress. Top with remaining bread slices; buttered-side down. Trim the crusts from bread. Cut each sandwich into 3 equal pieces. (Sandwiches can be filled and refrigerated, covered tightly with plastic wrap, for one hour before serving.) Garnish with additional chives before serving.
Makes 12 small sandwiches.