* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
* 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 8 cups cubed French bread
* 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
* 1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 4 eggs
* 3 cups half-and-half cream
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Additional cinnamon baking chips, melted, optional
* In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in apples and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat for 6-7 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
* Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Add the apple mixture, chips and walnuts; toss to coat. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and vanilla; pour over bread mixture.
* Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Drizzle with melted cinnamon chips if desired. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12 servings.
~~ Simple & Delicious | January/February 2008 ~~