* 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
* 1 cup fresh blackberries
* 1 cup fresh raspberries
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
* PHYLLO NESTS:
* 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Sprinkle with sugar; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 20 minutes. Pour vinegar over berries; sprinkle with pepper. Gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
* For phyllo nests, coat giant nonstick muffin cups with a cooking spray; set aside. Unroll phyllo dough sheets; remove one sheet. (White assembling, keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth.)
* For each nest, cut one sheet in half lengthwise and cut in thirds widthwise. Stack three sections and place in a prepared cup; spray with cooking spray. Stack remaining three sections and place in cup, alternating points. Spray with cooking spray. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar over dough. Repeat with remaining sheets of dough.
* Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
* Using a slotted spoon, fill each nest with about 3/4 cup berry mixture. Drizzle with a small amount of juice. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One filled nest equals 142 calories, 1 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch.
Light & Tasty | June/July 2004