* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup molasses
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
* 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
* 1 tablespoon butter, softened
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Chocolate-covered coffee beans and assorted candies, optional
* In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
* Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
* In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Stir in the coffee, butter and vanilla until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with coffee beans and candies if desired.
Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Spice Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting | Fun Food 2009