* 5 egg whites
* 1/4 cup baking cocoa
* 1/4 cup hot water
* 1 cup sugar, divided
* 1 cup fat-free milk
* 3 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
* 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
* 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
* Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Dissolve cocoa in water; let stand until cool.
* In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup sugar, milk, oil and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
* In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Remove 2 cups batter; stir in reserved cocoa mixture.
* Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray. Alternately spoon the plain and chocolate batters into pan. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
* Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
* For topping, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the whipped topping and chocolate until melted; stir until smooth. Place cake on a serving plate. Drizzle with topping. Place raspberries in center of cake.
Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 215 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
~~ Healthy Cooking | December/January 2009 ~~