* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup buttermilk
* 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/3 cup chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans, toasted
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of one 8x4x2-inch loaf pan or two 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add the 1 cup sugar and beat about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Add flour, buttermilk, lemon peel, baking soda, and salt. Beat just until combined. Stir in nuts.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and spread evenly. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 45 minutes for 8x4x2-inch loaf and about 40 minutes for 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaves or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center(s) comes out clean. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.)
4. Cool in pan(s) on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s). Place on wire rack set over waxed paper.
5. In a small mixing bowl stir together 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar until sugar is dissolved. Spoon glaze over top(s). Cool completely on the wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves (16 servings.)
Make-Ahead Tip: Bake loaf or loaves. Glaze, then cool completely. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Or, place cooled loaves in freezer containers or bags and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
~~ Better Homes & Gardens ~~