* 1 box (18 ounces) white cake mix
* 1 1/3 cups sour cream, divided
* 3/4 cup whole milk
* 3 egg whites
* 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
* 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut extract
* 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
* 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat two 9" round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, 1 cup of the sour cream, the milk, egg whites, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the coconut extract. Blend for about 30 seconds, or until the dry ingredients are moistened. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy. Pour into the reserved pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake springs back when pressed with fingertips. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes on a rack. Run a knife between the cake sides and pans. Turn the layers onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the remaining 3 3/4 cups sugar, the shortening, and the remaining 1/3 cup sour cream. Blend for about 1minute, or until the sugar is moistened. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Frost the top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the coconut. Top with the second layer. Frost the sides and top. With the palm of one hand, press about 1 tablespoon of coconut at a time onto the side of the cake. Continue while rotating the cake until the sides are coated. Sprinkle the remaining coconut over the top.
~~From... "Homemade In Half the Time"~~