* 8 egg whites
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
* 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
* Place egg whites in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the vinegar, vanilla and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
* Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Bake at 300° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool (meringue will fall).
* Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Yield: 12 servings.
~~ Reminisce | November/December 2001 ~~