* 3 cups butter, softened
* 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
* 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
* Nonpareils and/or halved candied cherries
* In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and cornstarch, beating until well blended.
* With hands lightly dusted with additional cornstarch, roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press lightly with a floured fork. Top with nonpareils or cherry halves.
* Bake at 300° for 20-22 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Yield: 16-18 dozen.
~~ Country Woman | November/December 1992 ~~