* 3/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 eggs
* 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup flaked coconut
LEMON COCONUT FROSTING:
* 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 3/4 cup flaked coconut, divided
* Shredded lemon peel, optional
* In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in coconut.
* Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
* In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, grated lemon peel, vanilla and lemon juice until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup coconut. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish with shredded lemon peel if desired.
Yield: 15 cupcakes.
~~Country Woman | January/February 2007~~