* 7 ounces savoiardi (crisp Italian ladyfingers)
* 1 tablespoon Cognac or other brandy
* 1 pint premium vanilla ice cream, melted
* 10 ounces frozen raspberries (not in syrup)
* 1 cup water
* Rounded 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
* 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
* Equipment: a 7- to 8-inch soufflé dish
Layer ladyfingers in soufflé dish. Stir Cognac into melted ice cream and pour evenly over cookies. Let stand 10 minutes.
Purée, raspberries with water, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
Beat cream with an electric mixer or a whisk until it just holds stiff peaks, then add 3/4 cup raspberry sauce and continue to beat until mixture holds soft peaks.
Lightly press on cookies with a spatula to compact slightly, then drizzle 1/2 cup raspberry sauce over them. Spread raspberry cream evenly on top and chill, covered, in freezer 30 minutes.
Serve charlotte with remaining raspberry sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
~~Gourmet | March 2008~~