* 1 cup water
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 eggs
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* Confectioners' sugar or chocolate frosting
* In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at one; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
* Insert a 3/4-in. round tip into a pastry bag or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; add batter. Pipe into 12 strips (about 3 in. long) 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
* Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
* For filling, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan; gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
* Stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool.
* Split puffs; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Fill eclairs just before serving. Replace tops; dust with confectioners' sugar or spread with frosting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 211 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
~~Quick Cooking March/April 1999~~