* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Pinch ground cloves
* 1/2 cup milk
* 4 medium pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup butter
* 3/4 cup boiling water
* Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, optional
* In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat in milk until smooth. Stir in pears and pecans. Spoon into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish.
* In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and water; pour over batter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.
~~Taste of Home August/September 1998~~