* 20 fresh or frozen peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp in shells
* 1 cup canned pumpkin
* 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, at room temperature (2 ounces)
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 cup arugula
* 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
* 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds*
* 1/4 cup bottled Italian vinaigrette salad dressing
* 20 3/4-inch-thick slices baguette-style French bread
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved (optional)
1. Peel and devein shrimp, if desired, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp. In a large skillet, cook shrimp in a large amount of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Drain well.
2. Preheat broiler. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, goat cheese, lemon juice, and honey; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine shrimp, arugula, onion, pumpkin seeds, and salad dressing; set aside.
4. Brush both sides of baguette slices lightly with olive oil. Arrange on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until toasted, turning bread over once.
5. Spread pumpkin mixture on one side of toasted baguette slices. Top each with a shrimp and some of the arugula mixture. If desired, top each with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Makes 20 appetizers.
*Kitchen Tip: To toast pumpkin seeds: Place pumpkin seeds in a dry large skillet; cover. Heat over medium heat about 5 minutes or until seeds are toasted, shaking skillet occasionally.