* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
* 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
* 2 tablespoons shortening
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
* In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
* Roll dough into 1-in. balls; press onto the bottom and up the sides of ungreased miniature muffin cups. Prick bottoms with a fork. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
* In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of the bag. Pipe filling into pastry cups. Cool to room temperature.
* For frosting, in a small bowl, beat shortening and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and milk until fluffy. Pipe onto filling. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 4 dozen.
~~Caramel Tassies published in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007~~