* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
* 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
* 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
* 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
* In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
* Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
* In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, extract and food coloring if desired; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; sprinkle with crushed candies. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
~~Peppermint Meltaways published in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008~~