* 3 egg whites
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup baking cocoa
* 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 tablespoon shortening
* In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in cocoa.
* Insert a #8b large open star tip into a pastry bag; fill half full with meringue. Pipe stars, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter, or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
* Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from paper; cool on wire racks.
* In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 40 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
~~Taste of Home December/January 1998~~