* 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 2 cups ground almonds
* 6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
* 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
* In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
* On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. From the center of half of the cookies, cut out a 1-1/2-in. shape.
* Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
* Spread the bottom of each solid cookie with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners' sugar; carefully place over jam.
Yield: 3 dozen.
~~Taste of Home December/January 2010~~