* 3 egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* Pinch salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Red and green food coloring, optional
* 44 milk chocolate kisses
* Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5-8 minutes. If desired, divide batter in half and fold in red and green food coloring.
* Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 1-1/2-in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie and cover it with meringue using a knife.
* Bake at 275° for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Immediately remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 44 cookies.
~~Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997~~