* 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
* 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup 2% milk
* 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 2 eggs, separated
* In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
* In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into two 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray.
* Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 souffle equals 301 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 270 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 15 g protein.
~~Cooking for 2, Fall 2006~~