* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 24 maraschino cherries
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
* Additional confectioners' sugar
* In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
* Divide dough into 24 portions; shape each portion around a cherry, forming a ball. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
* For glaze, combine the sugar, butter and cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 each cookies equals 225 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
~~Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001~~