* 3 egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
* 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
* 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
* Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
* Spoon meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. heart shape, building up edges slightly.
* Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
* In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place heart on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling.
Yield: 6 servings.
~~Taste of Home February/March 1997~~