* 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
* 1/2 cup butter, cubed
* 2 cups sugar
* 3/4 cup baking cocoa
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 2/3 cup sour cream
* 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
* 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
* Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
* In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
* Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.
* In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not overbeat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12 servings.
~~Country Woman February/March 2011~~