* 24 gingersnap cookies (about 1 cup)
* 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger, optional
* 3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
* 1/4 cup water
* 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
* 5 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
* In a food processor, combine the gingersnaps, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter. Cover and process until blended. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; set aside.
* In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, ginger if desired and remaining sugar. Stir in the chopped strawberries and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Cool for 30 minutes. Pour into crust. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
* Arrange sliced berries over filling. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat jam on high for 15-20 seconds or until pourable; brush over berries.
Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 252 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 196 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
~~Taste of Home April/May 2007~~