* 2 cups buttermilk
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
* Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, optional
* In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drop pie filling by teaspoonfuls over batter.
* In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
* Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Yield: 20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece (calculated without ice cream) equals 295 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
~~Healthy Cooking April/May 2010~~