* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 egg yolk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* Tinted frosting or colored sugar
* In a bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
* On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Decorate as desired.
Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 157 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
~~Taste of Home February/March 2002~~