* 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
* Dash ground cloves
* 1-1/2 cups whole milk
* 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
* 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* Place asparagus and mushrooms in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are browned; set aside. Reduce heat to 350°.
* In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and cloves until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
* In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; add roasted asparagus and mushrooms.
* In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer four noodles, a third of the asparagus mixture, a third of the white sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
* Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece (prepared with reduced-fat butter, fat-free milk and part-skim mozzarella) equals 216 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
~~Taste of Home April/May 2006~~