What a delicious way to use up leftover ham and fresh asparagus! Fluffy and moist, this dish will be a welcomed sight at any meal.
* 8 cups cubed French bread
* 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
* 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
* 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
* 6 egg whites
* 3 eggs
* 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* In a large bowl, combine the bread, asparagus, ham and cheese. Whisk the egg whites, eggs, milk, lemon juice and garlic powder; pour over bread mixture and stir until blended. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
* Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 224 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
~~Healthy Cooking April/May 2009~~