* 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
* 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
* 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
* 1-1/4 cups cake flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* Red food coloring, optional
* Whipped topping and sliced fresh strawberries, optional
* Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a food processor, puree strawberries; strain puree and discard seeds. Set aside.
* Sift together 3/4 cup sugar and the flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
* Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; fold in extracts. Fold 1/4 cup strawberry puree into remaining batter; add food coloring if desired.
* Gently spoon batters, alternating colors, into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
* Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Serve cake with remaining puree; garnish with whipped topping and fresh strawberries if desired.
Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice (calculated without optional garnishes) equals 176 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2-1/2 starch.
~~Country Extra May 2008~~