* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup almond paste
* 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add flour just until moistened.
* Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with almonds.
* Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
~~Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008~~
HOMEMADE ALMOND PASTE:
* 1-1/2 cups blanched almonds
* 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 egg white
* 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, egg white, extract and salt; cover and process until smooth.
* Divide almond paste into 1/2-cup portions; place in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months.
Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 84 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.