* 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 5 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
* 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
* 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
* In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
* In a small bowl, whisk 3 eggs, cream and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in chips and almonds. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 times.
* On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 10-1/2-in. circle, about 3/4 in. thick. Cut into eight wedges. Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Slightly separate wedges.
* Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 595 calories, 35 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
~~Quick Cooking May/June 2005~~