Even people who don't like beans compliment me on this delicious salad!
* 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
* 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
* 3 garlic cloves, sliced
* 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
* 3 tablespoons lime juice
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
* 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
* 1 medium green pepper, chopped
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion
* Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring broth and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until garlic is tender. Cool slightly.
* Transfer to a food processor, add 1/4 cup black beans, cilantro, lime juice, oil, tomato paste, oregano and salt; cover and process until smooth.
* Transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in the pasta, zucchini, peppers, onion and remaining beans; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 159 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
~~Light & Tasty April/May 2003~~