* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup cornmeal
* 1 Tbsp. baking powder
* 1-1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon or lime peel
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme
* 1/3 cup butter (no substitutes)
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 3/4 cup whipping cream
* 1/3 cup honey
* Edible flowers or sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, lemon peel, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of the flour mixture; set mixture aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, the 3/4 cup whipping cream and the 1/3 cup honey. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. (Dough will be very sticky.)
3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 6 to 8 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 8-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Cut into 12 wedges. Place dough wedges 2 inches apart on a large ungreased baking sheet. Brush wedges with additional whipping cream.
4. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet to a serving plate. Drizzle a little additional honey over each wedge before serving. If you like, garnish with thyme leaves. Serve warm.
Makes 12 scones.