2 1/2 pounds hubbard squash - cut into chunks and seeds removed**
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream (or evaporated milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Arrange squash on lined baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven until the skin is browned and flesh is tender, about 45 minutes; allow to cool before handling. Remove flesh from squash using a spoon.
3. Reduce temperature setting on oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Place 2 cups of squash in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the brown sugar, eggs, cream, apple pie spice, salt, and butter; process until smooth.
5. Pour the squash mixture into the pie crust. Bake until the filling rises, about 1 hour.
**You can also substitute butternut squash in this!