- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine squash, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt; mix well. Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each third into a 18-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Braid ropes together; pinch ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 slice) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
~~Reminisce, September/October 1997~~