- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 3 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat chocolate and butter until melted, stirring frequently. Whisk a small amount of mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the heat, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the cranberries, orange juice concentrate and extract. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating. Dip truffles in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; immediately sprinkle with almonds. Drizzle with bittersweet chocolate and garnish with dried cranberries. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 dozen.
~~Country Woman, December/January 2010~~