- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 6 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Place additional confectioners' sugar in another shallow bowl. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool 5 minutes. Dip tops of warm cookies in glaze, allow excess to drip off; dip in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe does not use eggs.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (2 each) equals 146 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
~~Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook, Annual 2007~~