- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into fourths; form into 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Place 5 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch and edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts 2 bars equals 134 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
~~Taste of Home, December/January 1997~~