- 1 package (2-layer size) regular lemon cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3cup cooking oil
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 recipe Creamy Lemon Frosting (see recipe below)
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, cooking oil, and egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat the mixture for 2 minutes on high speed. Stir in the lemon peel. Reserve 2 cups of the batter.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes. Add reserved batter and lemon juice; beat until mixture is combined.
- Layer batters alternately in prepared pan, beginning and ending with yolkless batter. Swirl lightly to marble. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- To assemble cake, cut cake horizontally into three layers. Spread Creamy Lemon Frosting between layers. Frost entire cake with remaining frosting. Makes 12 servings.
Creamy Lemon Frosting
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 8 -ounce package cream cheese
- 1 8 -ounce container frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1 package (4-serving -size) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped dessert topping. In a small bowl, beat pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on low speed; stir in lemon peel. Fold the pudding into the cream cheese mixture.