- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Lemon Curd Glaze (See below)
- Garnishes: candied lemon slices, sugared cranberries, fresh thyme sprigs
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat first 2 ingredients at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- 2. Sift together flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and next 2 ingredients.
- 3. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (16-cup) tube pan.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Curd Glaze. Remove cake from pan to wire rack; gently brush warm glaze over top and sides of cake. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Garnish, if desired.
- Try This Twist! Lime Curd Pound Cake: Omit lemon extract. Substitute lime zest for lemon zest and Lime Curd Glaze for Lemon Curd Glaze. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Lemon Curd Glaze:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small heavy saucepan; add egg, and stir until blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and begins to bubble around the edges. (Cooked mixture will have a thickness similar to heavy cream.) Use immediately.
- Try This Twist! Lime Curd Glaze: Substitute lime zest for lemon zest and lime juice for lemon juice.