- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 4 -4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry preserves
- Devon Cream (recipe follows) or lemon curd
- Sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and the 1 teaspoon sugar in the 14 cup warm milk. Set the mixture aside for 5 to 10 minutes or till foamy.
- Place 2 cups of the flour in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, heat and stir the 3/4 cup milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar and salt till warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour in mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough thats smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in warm place till doubled (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 20 portions. Shape portions into small balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Using your fingers, slightly flatten to circles 3 inches in diameter. Cover; let rise till nearly doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till buns are golden brown. Immediately remove buns from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack.
- To serve, slice each bun in half crosswise. Spread each bottom half with about 1 tablespoon strawberry preserves and then top with about 1 tablespoon Devon Cream or purchased lemon curd. Place each bun top over filling. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if you like. Makes 20.
- 1 8 - ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar. Beat till smooth.