- 1 box spice cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- A dash or two of allspice
- freshly ground nutmeg (a few grates on a microplane grater; I don’t measure, but less than ⅛ of a tsp.)
- ⅓ cup homemade apple butter (I do a heaping ⅓ cup )
- 1 (20 to 21 oz.) can apple pie filling
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup cinnamon chips ( I use Prepared Pantry which are very small chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9 x 13-in. pan with Baker’s Joy (or grease and flour pan).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cake mix, allspice, nutmeg, apple butter, apple pie filling, and eggs. Mix on medium-low speed until combined thoroughly. The mixer will chop up the apples a bit for you. Add the cinnamon chips and mix just until combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes (I follow bake time on the box for this size pan. Adjust accordingly depending on your pan size and oven) or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely then frost. Enjoy! ♥
- Cream Cheese Frosting: With a hand mixer, mix 1 (8 ounce) package softened cream cheese, ½ cup softened & unsalted butter, 1.5 to 2 cups powdered sugar (adjust to your desired taste & texture), 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1 Tbsp. heavy cream (start with 1 and adjust to your desired taste & texture) until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.