Searching for a favorite ingredient? Looking for a special recipe?

Sunday, November 17, 2013

♥ Gluten-Free & Vegan: Pop-Tarts ♥

One of the things I miss being gluten-free are pop tarts. Really! I know it sounds crazy but when you suddenly can't have something, it becomes important to find a substitute. :) Granted I only ate them once or twice a year, but what  a treat when I found this recipe. Can you buy gluten-free pop tarts? Absolutely! But the price is unbelievable! And sometimes the ingredients can be scary. Yikes. I really want to give this recipe a try one weekend.

Ingredients
    Dough:
  • 160g (1+1/3 cup) Oat Flour (plus ~1/2 cup for rolling)
  • 160g (1 cup) Brown Rice Flour
  • 13g (2 tbs) Ground Flax-seed
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • 168g (~3/4 cup) Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening*, soft (I used Spectrum Organics)
  • 112g (1/3 cup) Agave Nectar
  • 1 tsp Butter Extract
  • Filling:
  • ~10 tbs 100% Fruit Spread (I like strawberry and blackberry)
  • Icing:
  • 1/2 cup Powdered Erythritol
  • 1 tbs Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • Rainbow Sprinkles
Instructions
    For the Dough:
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, brown rice flour, flax and salt.
  2. Dump the shortening into the center of the bowl and drizzle in the agave and butter extract. Fold together until a dough forms (the dough should be too dry or too moist, you should able to form it into a ball without it sticking to the bowl)
  3. Tape a large square of parchment paper onto your counter (I used packing tape around all sides) and knead dough with some extra oat flour (I used ~1/4 cup). Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  4. For the Pop Tarts:
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Break off 1/4 of the disc (put the rest back in the fridge), dust the parchment sheet and dough with some oat flour and roll to 1/8" thickness. Use a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles, then use a thin/sharp pie server to transfer rectangles to the prepared baking sheet.
  7. Add the fruit spread to the dough rectangles, leaving 1/2" border, then top with another dough rectangle.
  8. Press on the edges with your fingers to seal the pop tart and use a toothpick to poke holes into the surface (you can kind of see the holes in the post photos).
  9. Bake for ~12-16 minutes (depends on the size of your pop tarts), or until the edges have browned slightly. Slide the parchment paper off the pan and onto a wire cooling rack. Continue doing this until all the dough is used up.
  10. Add icing and sprinkles!
Notes
*You can probably use 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce in place of 1/4 cup of the shortening if you want a lower fat recipe. I have made this dough with applesauce before with good results, but I haven't tried it yet with this Pop Tart recipe. I'm sure it will work out fine!

This recipe is: low sugar, gluten free, vegan!

Makes about 5 poptarts.

~~DessertsWithBenefits.com~~

1 comment:

Linda @ Friendship Tea said...

I purchase Glutino pop tarts to eat when I crave something sweet. This is my first Thanksgiving and Christmas to be GF, and I all the photos of gluten-filled foods in magazines are making me hungry!