- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, cocoa, food coloring, oil and eggs. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Fold into the muffin batter, being careful to not overmix. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the batter.
- In another small bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the muffins.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes.